Saturday, November 3, 2007

I'm Challenging You

That's right. I'm calling you out. I'm only doing it because I myself have been "called out" and I want (need) some participants in this dialogue. I love to read, but lately I have been gravitating to the same kind of books I usually read. I had received a 50% coupon from Barnes & Noble (my favorite bookstore) and was itching...itching, I say...to use it. By the way, Barnes & Noble has a very extensive collection of Christian Inspiration/Religion books and Bibles...better in my opinion than Family Christian and especially better than Lifeway.

Back to B & N. I decided to get something different to read, and I found a book titled, "Jim and Casper Go To Church". The sub-heading is "A believer, an atheist, an unlikely friendship...frank conversations about faith, churches, and well-meaning Christians." From the back cover: "In 2006, Jim Henderson, veteran Christian and director of Off The Map, hired Casper to join him in visiting twelve of America's best- and least-known churches. Week after week, this spiritual odd couple attended services at churches all over the country and documented their experiences at and reactions to each one."

I don't want to give you all of my reactions to this book because I would like to have dialogue about your findings. My challenge to you is to go get this book...only $16.99 and only 169 pages. Read what they have to say about their visits to some of the nations largest churches...Saddleback, Willow Creek, Lakewood, The Potter's House, and others. Read with an open mind, and then post your reactions here on the blog. I'll just say that I read this in one day, and it kept my mind awake all night!

I'll leave you with a "teaser" from George Barna's foreward:

"Consider the fact that few religious leaders or churches have any idea what it's like for an outsider to try to break into the holy huddle. Most churched people have been so immersed in the church world that they have completely lost touch with what it is like to come through the church door and try to fit into a place that has very distinct habits, language, goals, events, titles, architecture, traditions, expectations, and measurements."

I want to hear what you think.

2 comments:

The Buntens said...

Sounds like a good read, Russ. I will pick this up.
Cindilee led me to your blog. Great posts straight from your heart - thank you for sharing them.
Janel

Mary Ann said...

I'm reading....bits and pieces so far - I tend to jump around (ok, ok - it's gift but hey...)but I wanted to add that I soooo get the "outside perspective". I believe that God uses my past experiences as He wants us all to remember and translate out own past - particularly when they are from the "pit" into the good that He is working through us. (2 Corinthians 7:10) My first reaction was that how could so many in the church NOT get that is about the outsiders that Jesus calls us to reach out to, to live our lives to show SO THAT they can come into the family too! hmmmm...I'm realize that I too am working on my own judging heart...