Thursday, November 15, 2007

"He Will Bring Us Goodness and Light"


Here it comes again. With work, I am in and out of malls and department stores every day...every week. It is hard to avoid the Christmas decorations (put up in October) and the Christmas music. Hickory Farms is set up and selling the "beefstick" and cheese balls. Santa has taken his place in center court. Toy catlogues fill the mailbox.
I have not really been able to stomach holidays since Beth's death. She added so much to any day, but especially Christmas...for me. Beth would have me driving around Wake County on the prowl for cedar and spruce so she could make our wreath and garland for the door and mantle. So talented. So missed.
I have made a decision this year. I am going to embrace Christmas...the whole season. I mean EMBRACE...not just "suffer through" it like the past two years. Beth did bring a lot of joy to the holidays for me. I have to celebrate and remember that. I also have to enjoy the holidays again...in a different way. I have so many great memories of Christmas growing up and after marrying my sweet Beth. Those memories cannot be duplicated, but I can make new ones...with Beth still always in my heart.
Tomorrow, I am going to see David Phelps' Christmas concert in Fayetteville with some friends. I really am excited about it. I love David Phelps and the voice God doubly blessed him with. Mainly, I love being with the wonderful friends God has blessed me with...Mary Ann, Dean, Ruby, Cindy, and Jake. I am going to discover Christmas again. I will embrace it...in a new way.
I still watch all of the shows Beth loved..."Survivor", "Amazing Race", and "The Bold and The Beautiful". It helps me feel connected to her. I imagine that embracing Christmas will do the same.
Joy To The World.