Thursday, December 13, 2007

More Cowbell

I really was serious about "embracing" the holidays. Really. I can get selfish and get myself in a true funk over missing Beth and the way things were when she was here. I bought a string of $6.99 multi-colored lights at Target today and I strung them over my bannister and bookcase. Beth would have hated it...very tacky. It kind of puts me in the Christmas mood, though, and it's at least an effort to enjoy this time of year.

Today, I took the time to listen to an awesome middle school band at Crabtree Valley Mall. I was working there, but took a break to hear them. WOW. Martin Magnet Middle School Jazz Band was awesome! I played in the band in high school, and ours never sounded as good as they did today. In fact, our college pep band never sounded so good! These kids blew me away, and I admired the relationship they obviously have with their director.

There was this great enthusiasm permeating the whole concert. Before one song, a young girl stepped forward...cowbell in hand...and a huge smile on her face. She was waiting for her BIG moment. Sure...you can yearn to have the trumpet solo on "Frosty the Snowman" or the sax solo on "Jingle Bell Rock"...but we need more cowbell! This student smiled waiting for her big moment, almost aware of how silly it all was. When her time came, she came through HUGE and returned to her seat.

It reminded me that "whatever I do...I should be doing it as unto the Lord!" We all like the big feature solos where we get the adoration. However, there is a time when we just hit that cowbell once and sit down. God is preparing us for something else. We wait. I learned to not just look ahead to the big feature solos, but to enjoy where God has me now.

That song just wouldn't have been the same without the cowbell.

No comments: