Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"Moore" Conviction

Preferences can sure get in the way of hearing from God sometimes. Because we are all unique, we "prefer" certain things a certain way. We like the music we like for a reason. We like the preachers we like because...you fill in the blank. I'm the same way.

However, when we limit our intake to the point of religious snobbery, we effectively limit God and His revelation in our lives. Now I don't think we need to run off in the other direction and just "consume" every single thing that's out there with a "spiritual" label on it. God wants us to be discerning, but we must be able to strip away our preferences.

I have always considered myself to be exceptionally open-minded, but I have had my eyes opened lately in some areas. I listen to a lot of sermons (podcasts, cds,tv) every week. I have my favorite preachers, and I discovered (God pointed it out) that I flock to my favorites and dismiss anybody else.

Limiting God.

Each Wednesday on "Life Today" with James and Betty Robison, Beth Moore teaches. I know a lot of people LOVE Beth Moore, but I have never been a "fan". (Isn't it a shame that "fan" is the most appropriate word I could think of to describe it? Ouch!)

I watch Joyce Meyer every day, and "Life Today" comes on right before Joyce. So, I have been listening to Beth Moore for the past several Wednesdays, and God has used her to smack me in the face lately. She spoke on forgiveness today:

"We break the heart of Jesus when we do not belive what He did! We are forgiven! We mope around and dwell in the sins for which He has already forgiven us. We call it humility. Jesus does not call it humility. He calls it unbelief!"

Come on somebody! (shout out to Pastor Matt!)

I am venturing down a risky path when I limit God and limit the ones He wants to use to reach me and the people of this hurting world. We like what we like, but I don't want to miss out on anything that God has for me!

Beth Moore rocks!

2 comments:

The Buntens said...

Indeed, she does!

Christina said...

What a great article! I think we are all guilty of this from time to time.

I have been reading your posts from sometime and would like to see if you may be interested in doing some writing for a new ministry. It is for women, but we want a man's viewpoint also.

I can explain more later. Visit our blog and you should be able to get a vision of the ministry as well as find a way to contact us.

Keep up the good work. God has given you an awesome gift. Keep using it!