Monday, July 7, 2008

"Special"

There's this routine that Colby, Cosmo, Marley, and I have. They have trained me so well, and I love to spoil them; so really...it works out for everybody. When I go to the grocery store, I always get them a little something for a treat. I call it a "special" and boy, have they learned that word!

They always greet me at the front door when I come home, but they are also looking for the bag from the store to see if they are about to get "specials". That look of expectancy melts my heart every time. They don't get the "specials" every day, but they anticiapte that they may get something at any time. Plus, no matter how many "specials" they get in a week...well, it still is "special".

I am striving for that expectancy in my walk with God. "What do you have for me today, Father?" He so wants to reveal so many SPECIAL things to us. Am I waiting "at the door" or am I "asleep" on the sofa missing the whole shebang?

Colby always finishes his "special" first and then sets his sights on getting Marley's. Colby will finish and go to the door as if he was letting me know he needed to go use the "facilities". When I open the door, Marley runs outside and Colby ducks back in to grab Marley's "special" and take it upstairs. Marley falls for it every time. He will figure it out one day.

Nothing God-related really in that detour! It's just kind of amusing to watch it play out the same way each time.

No comments: