Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oakwood




I went out to Historic Oakwood Cemetery today in Raleigh where Beth is buried. It really is a beautiful place, and I still take flowers out there for Beth's grave. It is some small way that I feel I can honor her and remember her...although I don't need flowers for that. I think of Beth literally EVERY day of my life, and I miss her so much. I do not believe that I could really ever express truly what a void her death has left in my life to this day. I am so thankful that God daily...daily provides His love, grace, patience, and peace for me in my life.




A lot of well-known people are buried at Oakwood: Coach Jim Valvano from NC State's 1983 National Championship basketball team, numerous governors of North Carolina, business leaders, etc. Wade Edwards, the son of Senator John Edwards and his wife, Elizabeth, is also buried near Beth.




This past Tuesday, Senator Jesse Helms was buried there. I never was a fan of Helms. Surprise! There has been enough said and written about Helms and his legacy that I don't need to add to it. Before all of this "growth and maturity" happened in my life, I would have loved to have had a forum like this to be able to spout off.
The point is that there are a lot of "notables" buried at Oakwood; but none more notable than Elizabeth Knight Williams. She may not have written laws, governed a state, or played basketball, but she lived a full life of love, honesty, integrity, faithfulness, compassion, fairness, and passion. She is one of the many life stories represented there, and oh how I would love to have known them all.

2 comments:

The Buntens said...

Hugs to you, friend. (( ))

Mary Ann said...

Beautifully written...lovingly shared...Oh how I would have loved to have known her...