Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Hail! Hail!

Well, it wasn't supposed to turn out like that! I had been looking forward to last night for a long time...the Def Leppard/Styx/Foreigner concert here in Raleigh. We were there at the Walnut Creek Ampitheatre as doors opened and we commissioned Mary Ann (our fastest and most determined walker) to stake out a large piece of parcel on the lawn for our big group.

The forecast, which I checked just before we headed out, called for a chance of "isolated thunderstorms but mostly to the north". As I was returning with my $8 plate of chicken tenders/fries and a Heineken, it started to drizzle a bit. No big deal.

Well, within minutes the mother of all storms unleashed some "Old Testament judgment" on all of us! Wind, torrential rain, hail, lightning, and flying chicken tenders became the new order at Walnut Creek. As I was hanging on to a Moraski child for dear life (really more of hoping he would hold on and save me), I watched as people screamed and ducked under soaked blankets for protection. "Building Memories", as Pastor Mike said.

Whatever.

A friend of ours was in the men's bathroom (a guy named Josh...not one of the gals as you may expect) when the power went out and someone wisely shouted, "All Hands Up". The roof over the stage was partially blown away, and there were actually several minor injuries from the debris. Crazy! The rain finally ceased, but the concert was a wash (pardon the feeble attempt at a pun). POSTPONED! ARGGGH!

It was an experience I will not soon forget, and on this side of it...it's getting increasingly more hilarious. So...with that...here is the top 5 things overheard last night that you would never hear at a NC Symphony concert.

5) "I'm gonna die!!!!!"

4) "Is there grass on my face?"

3) "Hey! Are those my chicken tenders up on stage?"

2) "I wonder who wins the wet t-shirt contest between Mike, Dean, and Karl?"

1) "Do you think they sell Def Leppard underwear at the merchandise tent?"

ROCK ON!!!!!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Okay - this totally made me laugh out loud!!! You can't make this stuff up! And yes...this was a memory-maker since I have not one memory of any other concert; just sitting alot, standing alot and jumping alot (to see over everyone else standing! HA).

jenny said...

That made me laugh out loud too! I agree that the more I think about it, the funnier it gets. By far the most exciting concert I have ever been too. Ha ha!