Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I have been concerned recently that I would somehow "lose" my memories of Beth. I cannot stand the thought of forgetting the features of her beautiful face....or the sound of her voice...or the smell of her hair...or the typical "Beth sayings" that made her unique. I fight to hang on to every little thing about her, and I want it to be burned into my permanent memory.

God showed me in an awesome way today that He cherishes those memories for me, as well.

I worked today in Fayetteville, and I had an opportunity to visit the gravesites of three of my grandparents. My dad's father, Russell Jefferson Williams, died in 1976 when I was only 7 years old. My mom's father, Wade Knox McDonald, died in 1989. Mom's mother, Craty Watson McDonald, died on July 31, 1991...16 years ago yesterday. All three are buried in the same cemetery. My dad's mother, Tennie Wood Williams, is still feisty and living in a care facility near my parents in Southport.

As I stood there at each grave today, I had almost total recall of the wonderful memories I so want to always hold onto about each grandparent. As I wrote, I was only 7 years old when Grandpa Williams died, but I remember a good bit about him. I remember he was always "larger than life" to me. He was a proud farmer, and took my sister and me around on the tractor. He loved his church, Mt. Pisgah. He would sneak us away just before dinner to give us vanilla ice cream and a Coke (in the glass bottle...I still love Coke in a glass bottle today). I remember the day he died, but Praise God, I am so glad that I still (31 years later) remember HIM.

I remember Grandpa McDonald. He was the true "Southern Gentleman". He had this awesome "whistle" as he drove. He would pay us an extravagant amount to go to work with him when we visited. I would just stamp forms like crazy at his insurance office, and he rewarded me handsomely. He loved me so much. I remember the day he died, but Praise God, I still remember HIM.

Grandma McDonald could tear up a piano. She played "by ear", meaning she did not need any musical notes or a score. Just hum a little, and she could play it in any key you needed. I believe she did take lessons, but the actual music could not keep up with her! I have her piano in my home today. She cooked the most amazing vegetable soup/stew. She liked big Buicks! I remember the day she died of a sudden heart attack (a broken heart after losing Grandpa), but Praise God, I still remember HER.

I love Grandma Williams so much. She is the only one of my grandparents that Beth knew, and the two of them were great friends. They were always looking for trouble, and they were always looking out for each other. Grandma Williams is still here, and I am so thankful that I remember HER.

God showed me today at Lafayette Memorial Park in Fayetteville that He is so abundantly capable of keeping my memories of my beautiful wife alive! I remember February 9, 2005...finding Beth unable to breathe. I remember each grueling day in the hospital as the chances for survival grew so dim. I remember February 22, 2005...the morning she drew her last peaceful breath. PRAISE GOD! I remember HER!

1 comment:

karen said...

All I can say is wow ... what insight! Thanks for sharing this. I want to share this with Valarie ... once she's ready.

I had forgotten all about sticking stamps on envelopes at PopPop's office! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face and more and more memories of him for me to treasure!