Friday, February 22, 2008

"What If"

Elizabeth Walker Knight Williams
June 22, 1970 - February 22, 2005
"What If"
by Reverend Jack Moore
What if Heaven is real
And to die is to gain?
What if Heaven is real
With no sorrow or pain?
What if Jesus was right
And His words ever true,
When He said, "I go
To prepare a place for you."
What if Heaven is real
With its streets of gold?
With its light and joy
And blessings untold?
What if the Psalmist was right
When he said God has a plan
Even before we were formed
And our life here began?
What if God placed a baby,
As He has before,
With a Christian couple
To love and adore?
In a home where she'd laugh,
In a home where she'd grow,
In a home where God's love
Bill and Martha Jean would show.
What if Beth
As a little girl one day,
Would draw three crosses
Then bow and pray...
"Jesus,
I open my heart's door;
I receive you as Savior.
I receive you as Lord."
What if God would give Beth
A very best friend?
Her name would be Tara;
And she'd stay close to the end.
What if God would give Beth
A young knight, yes, a prince?
Who would cause her to smile,
To sing and to dance?
Who would love her the way
That Jesus said to.
He would ever be loyal,
And ever be true.
Then what if God looked down
On Beth's young life?
And said, "There's a place even better
In Paradise."
"I know it will be hard
For people to understand.
But My ways are much higher
Than the ways of man."
"Their hearts will be broken,
And filled with such pain.
But one day, my darling,
They will see you again."
"So, take heart, dear husband!
Dear parents and friends.
It's only the beginning
And not the end!"
"So Finish your course
And run your race.
For Beth and I will be waiting
In this wonderful place."


2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Dear Russ:
At first, I thought how hollow it sounds to say "Happy Birthday" to you when this date also marks the time in 2005 when you lost Beth after 13 days of praying for her healing. I imagine that the only gift that would truly make your birthday complete today would be the gift of Beth still here beside you. I really don't have words for you that you have not heard before but are still heartfilled nonetheless.

What If: I met Beth in person;
What If: We got to know each other;
What If: She and I became good friends and we shared stories and jokes and food;
What If: I had the chance to hug her;
What If; She and I were able to "gang up" on you together!! WHOA!!!
What If: You knew me well enough to be one of the people that was called in February 2005;
What If: I sat in the hospital for 13 days waiting and praying for her and with you;
What If: I was there with you and your family on February 22 when she took her last breath on earth and took her first breath in heaven.....

If so...I don't believe I could feel her loss any less on this planet. Because she lives through YOU my friend -
Through your stories about her;

Your heart and love for others;

Her beautiful pictures that you carry with you so that in just the right moment you were able share her with me while serving on the 1st wedding anniversary following her death.

Your friendship that makes me laugh out loud and snicker to myself;

Through Colby, Marley and Cozmo and how you care for them as Beth cared and loved them;

So I grieve too but never as you grieve my dear friend. I mourn the loss of Beth as someone I missed knowing and loving here. I mourn her loss through you and because of you. You see, because I did meet you and I do get to share stories and jokes and food and I do get to hug you; these things and so much more are translated into that supernatural thing that God does when He works in us to fullfil his command:
Love God; Love Others.

Because Beth loves God and you love God and I love God; Her love transcends space and time and flesh and bones to my heart as I cry.......

Happy Birthday RUSS - I celebrate that God made you to be here today to carry on the memory and life of Beth.

The Buntens said...

Russ,
I remember this poem. So beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your heart about Beth this month and always.

Love to you,
Janel and Keith