Friday, February 29, 2008

Please, Please Me

I love simple. I am simple. Well, I think that's not true at all. I am pretty complicated and am quite skilled at complicating the most simple of things.

I'll start over. I can "appreciate" simple, and I love when God uses something in a very clear, concise way to get through to me and my complications.

I used to have a problem getting frustrated driving. I drive a lot for my job, and you just wonder what the DMV was doing when they issued liscences to some of you. (excuse me...some of "us").
Well, God put it on my heart then to just write the word "grace" on an index card and keep it in sight while I was driving. Whenever I would start getting "needled", the card reminded me of the grace God shows for me daily, and the need I have as a follower of Christ to show grace...daily.

God has been focusing me a lot lately on holiness...being "set apart". Frightening stuff that holds awesome potential. It is obviously a journey, so there is no condemnation...just conviction. I just need to keep pressing toward the mark.

Mary Ann has said something lately in different settings that has given me that "simple Holy Spirit reminder". Here it is: "God, are you pleased?" That gets at it, doesn't it?

God, does this please you?
Does this thought please you?
How about this action?
This decision...is it pleasing to you?
Do my motives please you, Father?

It is a powerful "check" from the Holy Spirit for me. As I walk with God, He reveals more of Himself to me; and I more readily recognize the prompting/nudging/conviction of the H.S. I just stop and ask, "God, are you pleased?" I know my Father always loves me, but is He pleased?

"As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who has called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written" 'Be holy, because I am holy'. [1 Peter 1:14-16]

"May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. [Hebrews 13:20-21]

Amen.

Hebrews 11:6
Romans 12:1
Proverbs 15
1 Thessaloninas 4
2 Peter 3:11

2 comments:

The Buntens said...

Oh, another fabulous reminder!
I have been thinking so much about this lately. Where is my focus? Is what I am doing pleasing to God or am I trying to please man? Or myself for that matter. Good stuff.

The Buntens said...

OH My! you have me listed on your sidebar and as good insight! I feel so honored. And that is just plain scary, I tell you. Me and good insight. That is so so so God! Thanks Russ!