Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The B-I-B-L-E. Yes, that's the Book for Me

"The B-I-B-L-E. Yes, that's the Book for me. I stand alone on the Word of God. The B-I-B-L-E!" Remember that song?

Anyway...you should be here at my computer hearing me SING it! Count your blessings.

This week-end during our First Impressions "huddles" at Hope, I shared with the teams something that God really put on my heart. I was a bit anxious about it, but God assured me that I was to do it. I spoke with Mary Ann beforehand, and she agreed 100%. Well, if you have God AND Mary Ann saying to go forward, well....

I have been burdened as of late because I just never saw many people actually bringing their Bibles with them to church. We see thousands each week-end at Hope, and I rarely see more than maybe 25-30 people with a Bible. Now, let me stop here before you start getting all worked up. I am not trying to enforce some legalistic standard of following empty rules. If you bring your Bible to church and never open it, then yes; it is the same as leaving it at home covered in dust on the shelf.

During services, we do put the Scripture on large screens so everyone can see. We do offer sermon outlines in the worship guides so our attendees can take notes. We want to be an inviting, "non-threatening" place for people who are far from Christ to come and learn and to be loved.

This is not about those folks. Why do the folks who have been at Hope for a while not bring a Bible with them(and a journal...and a pen)?

My main point is that God's church is not just a place for us to go once a week to feel good about ourselves and get fed. Mark something off of our list. We are called to serve. SERVE!

In First Impressions, what we do goes far beyond...FAR BEYOND passing out worship guides, making a great latte, or helping people find a parking space or a seat in the auditorium. This is ministry and it is what God has called us to do. God blessed me with the opportunity this past Sunday to minister to a family I had met while I was serving as an usher. They had a need and asked me to keep them in my prayers. I said, "Let's pray now."

I prayed for healing. I prayed for God's glory to shine through. I prayed the Word of God.

I also used my Bible to offer God's comfort and encouragement.

I am not writing this to say, "Hey! Look at me! I got it figured out." God's Word is mighty. God's Word is vital to our lives as followers of the Living God. God's Word is vital as we minister to others. Why would we not be equipped with the tools God has given to us?

I am reading "Praying Hyde" by Basil Miller. John Hyde was a visionary and dedicated missionary to India in the early 1900's. I read this in the book yesterday at lunch:

"Praying Hyde during those days of retreat loved the Book, and but few times was he far away from it. His Bible was always in his hand, and even over the morning cup of tea, he fed the souls of his friends with the Bread of heaven. When he knelt to pray, the Bible was opened before him, and his hands rested on it, as though he gained strength therefrom to believe that he received the petition desired of the Lord. He lived thus face to face with Christ and daily rested on God's promises. He always had a spiritual morsel to give those who were with him, and by his own closeness to God he was able to lead others into the divine presence."

Enough said.

4 comments:

Rach said...

Preach! Preacherman :o) Good stuff.

Karen said...

You just warm my heart when I read your posts. And you teach me something new each time. My Bible is my guide ... and a well-worn companion ... Thanks for being sensitive to God's leading in your life. Did I ever tell you you're my favorite brother? :o)

Christina said...

I completely agree. My Bible has become my best friend and I have gotten in the habit of toting it with me EVERYWHERE, not just church. I know so many don't like the idea of writing in their Bible, but I love to highlight and underline things brought out in messages or my devotions... it really has been a growing tool for me. I guess I should have just posted an "AMEN to the Bible and the journal!" lol :O)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am sure you were such an encouragement to that family, Russ. What a blessing you are to so many. You shine God's love for sure.

I love when I remember in the mix of everything else on a Sunday morning to bring my bible, so I can OPEN it and journal thoughts in the margins or back page.

I agree that we should come and serve. I posted about this sometime back. BUT, I also do think church should be a place we come and feel good. And Serving just happens to make me feel good. So, does the music, so does the message and most importantly the people. Their warm smiles, hugs and encouragement get me through the week. Because sometimes serving - is hard. And I need the people, the worship, the message to get me through those harder times.

In the end, the serving brings tremendous rewards and it is where I really feel connected to God. I'm just saying, the feel good stuff of a Sunday morning - I need it, too.