Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mrs. Little and Mrs. Snipes

So, yes, I did get to see President Carter yesterday in Clayton, NC...at Wal-Mart. The newspaper feature reported that President Carter and Sam Walton were good friends, so President Carter always tries to fit in a Wal-Mart or Sam's Club during a book signing tour. I'd have to say that is one of the few times in my life I have been in a Wal-Mart. More of a Target man myself, but President Carter wasn't at Target. He was at Wal-Mart. So...Russ was at Wal-Mart.

I have to say that the experience was not as great as meeting President Clinton Wednesday. (I still cannot believe I have seen 2 former U.S. presidents in just three days!) There were a lot of people there, and I arrived fairly early to get a good place in line. I didn't mind waiting at all, but when President Carter started signing, we were just kind of moved through really fast. (kind of like "The Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld"...very methodical) You could not try to shake his hand. You could only take one picture off to the side after he had signed your book...and you had 10 seconds to do it. I understood why, but it was a disappointment after meeting President Clinton in Apex.

The greatest part of the experience turned out to be hanging out in line with two awesome ladies from Buies Creek. Mrs. Little(who reminded me a lot of my Grandma McDonald) and Mrs. Snipes. We immediately started talking and sharing and laughing. Time zipped by. Turns out Mrs. Little attended Gardner-Webb when it was a 2-year college. Both ladies were Baptists and grew up loving Jesus. Politics, farming, plastic bottles, organic carrots, church...we talked about it all. Big hugs at the end of our time together.

Big week. It was great meeting President Clinton and catching a glimpse of President Carter, but it was just as awesome for me to meet Mrs. Little and Mrs. Snipes.

1 comment:

The Buntens said...

Oh, they sound like lovely ladies. Glad you had such a big week!