Monday, March 24, 2008

Let God Arise

This morning, I have read a lot of blogs about people's experiences on Easter Sunday. I'm jumping into the mix.

Big crowds this week-end at Hope. Praise God for that! I showed up Saturday night to meet my friends there so we can head to Durham for the Tift Merritt concert (friggin' awesome by the way!). Full house just about for SATURDAY Easter service. I am so proud that regular Hope folks listened and responded by giving "their" Sunday seats to guests.

I served both Sunday services as an usher in the balcony. I rarely serve up there, but it's closer to God, so...! I didn't really see a lot of people I recognized. Pastor Mike calls it "the poinsettia and lily crowd". Well, God bless them for being there, though. Pastor Mike also says, "If they hang around the pond long enough, they may just fall in."

Great service, though. Two of my good buds, Jake C. and Craig C. were in a drama that was so excellent. Plus, Autumn S. sang a cool Nicole Nordeman song, "What If". Autumn has been gifted with an incredible voice; so sing on!

My reflections this morning, however, really turned not to the church (Hope), but to THE church...God's body...God's church...all of them.

I think I strip words of their impact sometimes by using them too liberally. With that being said, please know that I was OVERWHELMED (to tears) as I read about what was happening across God's Church all across this country yesterday. Lives Impacted By The Love Of Jesus.

I read blogs from pastors and churches that are "putting all their chips in" for Christ and His Kingdom. 12,000 people attended NewSpring Church in Anderson, SC yesterday! 120 gave their lives to Jesus Christ! Record turnout at Elevation in Charlotte...500 people making decisions to follow Jesus Christ! Do you think Heaven was not explosive in celebration of that yesterday?! Mark Beeson at Granger in Indiana continues to innovate for God's Glory. He said, "Instead of everyone telling ONE, how about everyone telling EVERYONE!" YES!

God is doing some amazingly bold things in these churches that are willing to get themselves out of the way...saying "God...you have to do this because we will surely screw it up on our own."

So, my prayer for churches...all of them, not just Hope, NewSpring, Elevation, and Granger:

  • Believe God for BIG things. Perry Noble at NewSpring says he is believing (not "wishing and hoping") BELIEVING for 3,000 baptisms in one day at NewSpring!
  • Never lose sight of the Great Commission
  • Keep focused on God and what He has called your church to be. Pastor Noble says that God doesn't need another NewSpring or Elevation...That's so true. Do what God has called you to do, and celebrate what He is doing everywhere.
  • Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. We have to love like Jesus and we must grow up.

Praise God for what He did EVERYWHERE yesterday. People who were far from Him are now closer to Him.

Easter... The Love Which Led To The Sacrifice Which Led To The Victory.

No comments: