Saturday, April 5, 2008

Birthday


Today is the 92nd birthday of Grandma Williams. 92!!!! Mom and Dad went to visit her today and said she was watching MTV on her tv! I love that! Some may believe that she really had no idea what she was watching, and that the television was just "on". Nah! I know her. She was looking for the latest Fergie video!
Either way, she is still with us. Her physical appearance and abilities have seen changes as she has gotten older. Obviously. She is still here by God's design, and in that, I rejoice. She isn't able to live in her "home" anymore, but God still makes His home in her.
She and Beth were big buddies! They would always be found near each other...usually plotting something. Beth saw things in my grandmother...in most elderly people...that I would always tend to forget or look past. I really loved that Beth loved me so much that she would love Grandma the way she did. Grandma loved me so much that she would love Beth that way. Actually, I didn't have to play that much of a role in their relationship. They were going to be great friends no matter what I did.
Grandma loves the hymn, "What A Friend We Have in Jesus".
"What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!"
What a privilege to carry,
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry,
Everything to God in prayer."
The very last line:
"In His arms he'll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there."
Even though I am not with my Grandma today on her birthday...
Even though Beth is not here to be with her on her birthday...
Grandma is shielded in God's arms.
What a solace!
What a God!
What a woman!
Happy Birthday, Irene "Tennie" Williams

3 comments:

Rach said...

Happy Birthday to your Grammie! April birthday girls are REALLY special :o)

Mary Ann said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet, beautiful Grandma Williams!! I am so blessed that you share her with Dean and me. Seeing her respond to you when you fed her a bit of her lunch; so gently. I watched her eyes focus on you. For some reason, she has been on my mind lately. I'm happy to hear that she is still ROCKING!!

The Buntens said...

Happy Birthday to Grandma! I can only hope I am that hip at her age. Thanks for sharing her today with us, Russ!