Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bloom, Dang It...Bloom!



When Beth and I were looking to buy a home, we bought one of the first we looked at. They had shown us pictures of the two beautiful trees in the front yard...in bloom. I think the trees are Japanese cherry...I think. Anyway, I got excited...and I let it show. Bad thing to do in front of the realtor. Beth reminded me that the trees probably only look that great for 10-14 days each year. Bummer.

We bought the house anyway, but I laugh everytime the trees bloom, which they are doing now. She was right. The trees look that pretty for only a short while, then I'm raking up "pink snow".

Seasons for everything. Right?

It does make me think about my walk with Christ, though. Am I "blooming" for just a short while and then returning to what I was before? Later on, as I seek God more; then I may bloom some more. Then...back to where I was. I am definitely not interested in living in that cycle.

"Most blessed is the man who believes in, trusts in, and relies on the Lord, and whose hope and confidence the Lord is. For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters that spreads out its roots by the river; and it shall not see and fear when heat comes; but its leaf shall be green. It shall not be anxious and full of care in the year of drought, nor shall it cease yielding fruit."

Jeremiah 17:7,8

3 comments:

jenny said...

If I were looking for a new house today I would be likely to buy it also if it had cherry trees in the yard. Cherry trees, or sakura (in Japanese) are dear to my heart after seeing so many of them in Japan last year.

Christina said...

Russ... I was introduced to your blog by a dear friend. Just want you to know how inspirational your words always are. You are so in touch with God's work in your life.

As far as the trees, maybe you aren't in a cycle of returning to the old.. the trees are just as strong whether they are in bloom or not. Maybe the blooms are those seasons when God lets others really see and appreciate the work He is doing, or a reminder to us that he is still present.

Keep pressing forward. I know you are touching lives in ways you will never imagine. God bless!

The Buntens said...

I LOVE THOSE TREES and am getting ready to plant a tree in my front yard. Well, Keith is getting ready to plant one. ;)
Maybe it will be this one!!!

Very true words. Thanks again for sharing the truths of God you are finding on this journey of yours.