Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What We Carry

We all have stuff that we carry with us...stuff that makes up a little or a lot of just who we are. I don't think it's fair to call it "baggage".

I always carry with me the agony of losing Beth. I think of her every day and I grieve for her every day. Now, there is a difference between grief and a "spirit" of grief. Contrary to the cliche, time does NOT heal all wounds. Not time in and of itself. God, as time and life continue, will provide healing.

There has always...3 years later...been something about Beth's death that affected me that I could not pinpoint. I think I got it this week.

I record "Guiding Light" (don't judge me) each and every day. 2 characters were dying on the show and a lot of the script focused on the last days spent between the characters and their respective families. One character, Olivia Spencer, was actually dying from what Beth had, severe dilated cardiomyopathy. I was sobbing as I watched everyone get the opportunity to say what was on their hearts...families and patients alike.

Beth and I and her family never got that opportunity. After her heart attack, she was "alive" for 13 days, but was never responsive. There was a brief span of 10-15 minutes initially in the ER when she could respond to questions by nodding her head, but that was it. I sat by her bed every day and told her how much she meant to me and how much I loved her. I really don't know if, being in a coma, she could hear me and understand what I was saying. I have to trust that God made it possible for her to hear my words and my heart.

The other side...maybe a more selfish side...mourns the fact that I never got to hear her say anything to me again. We awoke that morning...all was fine...that was the last time I heard her voice. I know that she loved me. We just never got the opportunity to say good-bye. I look back now and realize just how much I need(ed) that.

I've had people tell me, "Well, Russ; at least she didn't suffer much." That's crap! That is not comforting to me. I hope that she did not suffer. I hope that the doctors were telling me the truth when they said she probably never knew what happened. Selfishly, though...I wanted that chance to have her hear what I needed her to hear. Maybe she did.

I also wanted that chance to hear her...one more time.

Javier, a man who works with Dean, suffered a huge loss today. His daughter was shot and killed while at work in Louisburg. No chance to say what was on his heart. This will obviously be something he will carry for a long time.

We all carry things. Good and bad things. It is not easy always to open up and let people look at it, but it does all play a part in what makes us who we are.

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Lifting you to our Lord, dear sweet brother.
"and he said,
I called out of my distress to the Lord,
And He answered me.
I cried for help fromthe depth of Sheol;
You heard my voice. JONAH 2:2

Rach said...

Life ultimately leads to death, but through Jesus death ultimately leads to life. The awesome thing is that she is alive in Christ, she is with Him now. Maybe you didn’t get the chance to verbally say good-bye to each other, but wouldn’t you think that not only does He have the power to relay messages from heaven to His children on earth, but also from His children on earth to His children in heaven? She may not be physically present here, but her presence lives in you and (just from what you have wrote about her) is certainly being enjoyed in heaven with her Creator.

It’s true that healing will take a lifetime, but you can be sure that it is happening, that He is using this amazing process to not only transform your life into something far more brilliant than you could ever have conjured, but through this precious woman, to touch the lives of hosts of others. I’m not a prophet, but God’s Hand is heavy on your life, in a very good way mind you. I’m thrilled to even have a small part of it and am excited to see the works He will perform through you.

The Buntens said...

Russ, I won't have anything profound to say here because I am just awful at that sort of thing, but I want you to know I am constantly praying for you and we love you.
The way you share your heart is a blessing to me.